From: mvp at joeware.net (joe)
Subject: Windoze almost managed to 200x repeat 9/11

Other articles state that as

"which replaced the original servers with off-the-shelf Dell hardware
running Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server"

Also there are other mentions of Windows Servers replacing UNIX servers.
Don't think I have ever met someone who would be willing to call Win9x a
server.

> but it seems that the only valid approximation of what it could originally
mean is an OS problem.

It is a valid approximation of lots of apps that have problems with
GetTickCount including MS themselves. In the years of helping companies and
their vendors I have seen MANY occurrences of this problem. It is an
extremely common problem. The number one reason given by vendors when I
approach them on it is they weren't aware of another function to get a
timer. The second reason was that they were aware but didn't like working
with 64 bit integers which can be a pain in some compilers/languages.

>  - Why would they use such a ridiculous counter? Applications usually
>    do not have to count time on their own, and usually rely on RTC data.
>    Counting miliseconds seems futile, though I suppose it could be
>    just a matter of an obscure design.

There are valid uses for counters like this, usually for
sequencing/syncronization. I can't say anything other than you haven't had
experience with them. Granted many uses of handling time in an app this way
would be better served with an event driven timer or signals, but not all
coders are comfortable doing things like that. The non-hardware specific RTC
capability from windows is through the high resolution timers though even MS
doesn't call Windows (other than CE/Embedded) a RT OS. The next closest
approximation is through GetTickCount which is there to give an easy 32 bit
answer to things, again because many coders don't like 64 bit integers.

>  - Why wouldn't the same code fail on unix previously?

Who says it is the same code? The fact that it does fail at 49.7 days would
seem to indicate to me it isn't because they are using some different method
of doing the timing, not number of ms since start time in a 32 bit value.

>  - Why would they claim again and again that this was an OS "feature"?

Because the people speaking don't code and the vendor probably said so. I
heard the same thing out of a vendor a couple of years ago when a company
contacted me about a timer that would start counting down after the program
ran for many days. The vendor was screwing up in how they used clock() which
returns an unsigned long. They swore up and down it was MS's fault until I
wrote code and duplicated exactly what they were doing and had another
example side by side with it that worked perfectly. I just the other day
dealt in the newsgroups with another vendor who ran into the exact same
problem with clock(). The issue is no or incomplete understanding of basic
data types.

 joe