From: visitbipin at yahoo.com (bipin gautam)
Subject: (confirm) Antivirus, Trojan, Spy ware scanner, Nested file manual scan bypass bugs. [Part IV]

Only tested on...

Mcafee VirusScan professional (8.0.0.12)
Norton Antivirus 2003
Ad-Aware (6.0.1.181)
The Cleaner

This is what i did,

I craeated a account named "dumb_user" and log on to
the account.

I created a folder and copied a sample virus to the
folder. Then i took the ownership
of the folder and set the permission as, "I only can
access" the folder and its
content.

eg: cacls.exe hUNT.exe /T /C /P dumb_user:R

Then I switched back to "Administrative account" and
tried doing "manual scan"
for virus with mcafee and later norton in seperate
machines. The manual scan was unable
to pick the virus!!!

But ya... if you try the same thing with a file and
try executing the file the
auto-protect engine will stop the virus from
executing. So this is ONLY ISSUE FOR MANUAL

SCAN ON ANTIVIRUS PRODUCTS.

It seems like, in manual scan... the scanner runs
under the security content of

Administrator who is responsible for scanning the
system........... hence the virus goes

unnoticed due to NTFS file permission restriction.
But, seems like... the Auto-Protect

engine loads as a kernel driver so the virus gets
stopped in the way during execution.

*But ya... many trojan, spyware scanner i know just
run with the Administrative privilage,

so its a ISSUE for all those products.

Please follow the procidure & confirm if other
antivirus products are vulnerable as well.

http://www.geocities.com/visitbipin/all.html

thank you for your time,

bipin gautam