From: ggilliss at netpublishing.com (Gregory Gilliss)
Subject: House approves spyware legislation

IANAL.

Criminal trespass affects real property. Computers and cyberspace,
contrary to popular belief, do not constitute real property. However
you could be subject to prosecution for trespass to chattels. Chattels,
for the uninitiated, is a fancy legal term (FLT) used to refer to
personal belongings. There is trespass to chattels and there conversion.
The was I understand it, trespass to chattels means I spray paint your
dog - my impact is temporary or reversable. Conversion means I throw
your dog in the microwave and turned it on. The effect is not reversable.
That's why you can't sue your veterinarian for malpractice. Dogs aren't
people. Computers aren't real property. Remember, we're talking law here,
and my only reference is the American legal system.

Liability for trespass to chattels is limited to the damage done, and
liability for conversion is limited to the cost of replacement. Needless
to say, this is ridiculous when it comes to valuations for data - the
cost of replacing your hard drive might be measurable, but the
cost of replacing your data is extremely intangible.

FWIW I do believe that hacking does not constitute criminal trespass.
There are legal concepts like consent implied in fact associated with the
act of attaching a computer to an Internet known to be populated by people
and 'bots intent on compromising your security.

-- Greg

--
Gregory A. Gilliss, CISSP                              E-mail: greg@...liss.com
Computer Security                             WWW: http://www.gilliss.com/greg/