From: chris at ngssoftware.com (Chris Anley)
Subject: mysql password cracking

Hey David,

Re: allowing users to see other user's hashes - it's dangerous; don't do
it if you don't have to.

To precis what's in the paper (which I wrote btw), there's a few
interesting points about mysql password hashes:

1) In versions prior to 4.1, the password hash can be used to
authenticate directly with the database, so you don't need to crack it.
In other words, knowledge of the *hash* is what the authentication
protocol tests, not knowledge of the password. Admittedly you'd need to
modify your mysql client to authenticate this way but that's not too hard.

2) In versions 4.1 or better (which are still Beta) MySQL uses SHA1 to
hash the passwords, so the situation is a little better. You can still
crack sha1 password hashes fairly easily though, depending on the
password complexity and length. The hashing algorithm is to sha1 hash
the password, then sha1 hash the resulting hash, in other words
sha1(sha1(password)). Of course, if you're using 4.1 or better you're
using beta software, against MySQL AB's recommendation.

3) If you use 4.1 ensure it's at least 4.1.3, because of the
authentication bug detailed in the paper which (briefly) lets any user
authenticate without needing to know the password.

If for some reason you have to have an untrusted user viewing another
user's grants, you could do it safely a number of ways (assuming version
4.0.x):

a) Write a UDF to do it (probably the best solution)
b) Write a batch script that periodically does the 'show grants', strips
the password hashes out and then inserts the data into a table your user
can see. Of course, the data won't be current, but that might be ok and
you don't need to mess about with dangerous privs.
c) Grant the user select privilege (only) on mysql.db, mysql.host,
tables_priv, user_priv and every column of 'mysql.user' apart from
'password', and 'select' their privs out manually. This may be
dangerous, so be careful.

Hope that helps... :o)

      -chris.