From: shrdlu at deaddrop.org (Etaoin Shrdlu)
Subject: Google Desktop Search

Dogo wrote:

>Hi everybody!
>
>I decided to test Google Desktop Search

Hope that this was just a test machine. I would have been a bit nervous
to try this on anything I needed, myself.

>...In the beginning I put my nick to play with, Dogo. The
>research came with a bit more than I expected 'cause the engine  went to some webmail based accounts: Yahoo and MSN. I could click in the results and opened my Yahoo Mail inbox page without a password.

Perhaps you have something that says funnel all email to a specific
account; perhaps you *do* have a "remember my password" set somewhere.
Lots of perhaps here; you might want to ghost the drive, and do a little
forensics off line, to see if there are presents left behind.

>Well, I just used for maybe 20 minutes until the index was being prepared. I uninstalled the tool.

You *hope* you uninstalled it. Checked the registry? Sounds a bit to me
like Google is working to be the next Big Blue/Microsoft. Excellent.
Survival of the fittest.

>Did someone try it? Any opinion?

I'd recommend that someone try a couple of installs on a private
network, and watch what goes in or out. Sounds interesting, for certain
values of interesting.

--
You've confused equality of opportunity for equality of outcomes,
and have seriously confused justice with equality.