From: shrdlu at deaddrop.org (Etaoin Shrdlu)
Subject: Full-Disclosure Posts

yahoo@...alhost wrote:

>Should Full-Disclosure only allow so-called -real- names? I was on
>Nanog (a network admin list) and they have a rule where you can only

NANOG is not even remotely a network admin list. It is comprised
(mostly) of those folk who administer and make decisions on what we used
to consider the backbone. North American Network Operators Group (NANOG)
does occasionally talk about the administration of networks, but they
aren't interested in your puny /29 in your parent's basement.

>post with a first and second name, instead of an alias or nick, to
>kind of give more credibility that you are a security professional and
>not a hax0r or script kiddie.

They really aren't all that interested in having *security
professionals* (whatever that might mean) on the list, although they
don't reject such things. It isn't the purpose of the list. Do you
provide support for MCI? How about Verisign? Those are the sort of folk
that list is intended for. In addition, the FAQ will tell you that a
recognized pseudonym as an acceptable substitute (that means that the
pseudonym needs to have been around for quite a while, cookie).

>Should the same rule be pro actively implemented to Full-Disclosure or
>is it a dead duck idea?

It would be silly to think of such a thing. I'd say that more than half
the posts here are mixed between goofy handles, and truenames (c.f.
Truenames, Vinge), and that the signal and noise has no correlation
between those (i.e. goofy handle is not necessarily noise, and lord
knows truenames are no guarantee of signal).

>I know hax0rs or script kiddies would probably use fake first and
>second names if it was implemented, but at least the list would look
>neat and a tad more professional?

Of course, anyone still using the term "hax0r" as though it were
meaningful might want to think further about what a "security
professional" might be.

>Feedback welcomed....

Voila!

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle,
and quick to anger. Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,