From: Wayne_Dawson at inventuresolutions.com (Wayne Dawson)
Subject: RE: Full-Disclosure digest, Vol 1 #1991 - 41 msgs

First, you didn't say, so I'm wondering if you checked the simple
things?  I mean for why you couldn't see it or delete it?   Like, does
it have read and hidden attributes?

OK, admittedly, even if the read attribute was taken off, being still in
use, you might not be able to delete it. However, you may be able to
rename it logon.txt and then reboot.

Anyway, I don't know of a free utility, but you could always take the
drive out and put it in another NTFS machine and access it that way.  It
wouldn't be running so it should be safe.

Of course, I'm assuming that you've already done the usual checking of
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE entries:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

for any reference to any file you deleted.

Also, for each user there is a registry area named HKEY_USERS\[code
number indicating user]\. Check the entry:

HKU\[code number]\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\

and remove any reference to any file you deleted.

Additionally, in case you didn't, make sure system restore has been
disabled before doing your rescue operations.

	Message: 3