From: bkfsec at sdf.lonestar.org (Barry Fitzgerald)
Subject: Will a vote for John Kerry be counted by a
 Hart InterCivic eSlate3000 in Honolulu?

Jason Coombs PivX Solutions wrote:

>If we're going to allow these electronic voting devices in our elections, then we the people must be empowered to become the all volunteer quality assurance army that validates the data output.

Hey there Jason,

    I share similar concerns.  If we trace the "why" of this issue back
to it's root (and discard conspiracy theories - which, given the
attitude of a certain voting machine company that begins with a 'D's
executives, would be impossible to discard) is that it comes down to the
fact that our (s)elected officials are more and more often coming from
the corporate power-base.  There are two facts about corporate
leadership: a) Negate your responsibility and liability and b) the
appearence of legitimacy is all you need.

    Using that filter, you can explain all of the actions and
perspectives of the current government.  Of course, this isn't a
statesmanly thing.

     This is why I support removing the right to run for office from
anyone who has served as an executive in a company.  Having served in
that capacity produces a mindset that is poisonous to the democratic
process.  This is not a "discriminatory" practice in the sense that
being elected is a right.  That's the first argument people throw at me.
However, it's an argument that is not grounded in reality.  The criteria
for serving in public office already includes discriminatory criteria
that discludes people who don't meet it's guidelines because those
guidelines have been determined to weed out those who would not make
appropriate statesmen.  This, of course, isn't a wholesale solution -
but it is a start.  Furthermore, being an executive is a choice.

     That's all you need to know about this situation.  Actual
legitimacy is not important to those in power and those producing these
voting boxes, implied legitimacy is.

                -Barry