From: nick at virus-l.demon.co.uk (Nick FitzGerald)
Subject: Spam sent via spambots?

In another thread Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> Securing every machine on the internet would be a good start. 95% of all
> spam messages I have seen lately gets send from DSL or Cable IP addresses.
> These are machine which run spamware without the user knowing (s)he is
> sending out spam by the buckets untill their ISP shuts them down.

Really?

95%?

Does anyone have sound statistics on how much spam comes from DSL/Cable
IP-space?

And further, does anyone have any idea how to pick apart how much of
that is simply relaying type activity vs.dedicated spam-bot activity?

On the first question, I've seen many estimates over the last year or
so suggesting everything from 25% (admittedly that was one of the
earliest such estimates) to 40% and 60%, and recently a few claims of
the "as much as..." variety pegging it at 75% and 80% (don't ask for
references -- this is all from memory...).

So, has any really good, large-scale sampling of these issues been
done, perhaps by the large Email/anti-spam managed services folks??

--
Nick FitzGerald
Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.