From: j.riden at massey.ac.nz (James Riden)
Subject: Spam sent via spambots?

Nick FitzGerald <nick@...us-l.demon.co.uk> writes:

> J.A. Terranson wrote:
>
> <<snip>>
>> > And further, does anyone have any idea how to pick apart how much of
>> > that is simply relaying type activity vs.dedicated spam-bot activity?
>>
>> Does it matter?
>
> Yes, as many of the former are simply due to (legitimate user)
> misconfiguration and do not provide any form of backdooring to the
> system, whereas the spammers are much more actively involved in
> "managing" the latter and can actively update/replace/supplement the
> code running on them.  Thus the latter are much more likely able to
> avoid (or perhaps "survive") "fixing".

Very little spam seems to come from traditional open mail relays these
days. A lot of the stuff I look at has come direct from the spammer
themselves, or from dynamic space, or university resnets.

I can't give accurate statistics though, because we're rejecting mail
at our MXs using sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org, which is specifically designed
to stop this kind of thing in the first place. (Last time I checked,
XBL was a composite of CBL, http://cbl.abuseat.org/ and OPM, an open
proxy list - see http://www.spamhaus.org/xbl )

cheers,
 Jamie