From: patryn at schimmetje.com (patryn)
Subject: MSIE <IFRAME> and <FRAME> tag NAME property
 bufferoverflow PoC exploit (was: python does mangleme (with IE bugs!))

Berend-Jan Wever wrote:
 > I hope they fixed it by accident, seeing what the other option would
imply.

Certainly puts all that jive they've been spewing to the press in a
different perspective.

Microsoft has begun to investigate the Iframe vulnerability and has not
been made aware of any program designed to exploit the flaw. (You'd
think they'd monitor the lists - p)

"Upon completion of this investigation, Microsoft will take the
appropriate action to protect our customers, which may include providing
a fix through our monthly release process or an out-of-cycle security
update, depending on customer needs"

"Microsoft is concerned that this new report of a vulnerability in
Internet Explorer was not disclosed responsibly, potentially putting
computer users at risk"

http://news.com.com/Exploit+code+makes+IE+flaw+more+dangerous/2100-1002_3-5439370.html

But then again who doesn't like to bash Redmond, I'm curious what the
"investigation" is turning up though.

patryn

Berend-Jan Wever wrote:
 > Hmmm... MSDN DHTML Reference mentions 6 different flavors of the NAME
property:
 > 1) For a lot of tags like A, APPLET, IMG, INPUT, etc... this includes
EMBED
 > 2) FRAME, FRAMESET, IFRAME
 > 3) META
 > 4) namespace
 > 5) PARAM
 > 6) window
 >
 > I figured all the tags mentioned under 2 were affected and the rest
wasn't. Now I hear <EMBED> is also working ? Somebody might wanna go
through each and every tag to see which are affected and which aren't.

 > SHDOCVW.DLL version 6.0.2800.1400 and 6.0.2800.1584 are known to be
vulnerable.
 > SHDOCVW.DLL version 6.00.2900.2518 seems to be immune to the BoF
(ships with XP PRO SP2).

 > The immune version got me wondering if they knew about the bug ? If
not, did they expect the code could be buggy and just rewrote it to be
sure it was safe for SP2 ? Or was there just a code rewrite or another
reason why the bug got silently fixed...? I hope they fixed it by

<full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com>
 > Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2004 23:21
 > Subject: RE: [Full-Disclosure] MSIE <IFRAME> and <FRAME> tag NAME
property bufferoverflow PoC exploit (was: python does mangleme (with IE
bugs!))

 >>The published exploit is working also with the <EMBED> tag, and not just
 >>with the <IFRAME> and  the <FRAME> tags.
 >>Finjan's advisory can be found at:
 >>http://www.finjan.com/SecurityLab/AttackandExploitReports/alert_show.asp
 >>?attack_release_id=114
 >>
 >>==