From: Colin.Scott at csplc.com (Colin.Scott@...lc.com)
Subject: IE is just as safe as FireFox

Yes perhaps I'm being a little close minded.

I know that WFP can be switched off and all that, but this is real life. We
don't have the luxury of 1 single domain controlling all our clients, we
are talking multiple NT/2000/2003 domains, multiple OS's, multiple Admins.

I am complaining (more the point I am trying to make as others are on the
list) directly about the situation we are in with the patching of Windows
products.  We feel like we are held to ransom by MS's security team while
they drink their coffee testing new patches on Dells with no doubt MS-only
apps installed. Meanwhile we have to go out and spend hundreds of thousands
of pounds on products that we shouldn't have to purchase. Or engineer
tricky methods to make changes to the whole estate just so we can feel a
little happier running windows (will we ever feel happy?).

We use SUS and currently its switched off. Why? Because one of MS's helpful
little patches has been eating machines, or more accurately WFP has been
helpfully putting DLLs back to the old version without warning, result
non-booting machine. An open call with MS PSS has given us no fix (c'mon
pull the finger out guys)

So currently we are damned if we do patch and damned if we don't.

Maybe you'll understand why I'm a little tetchy on the subject now (as I'm
sure others are too), and why I responded to Rafel's comments so
aggressively.  His comments weren't helpfull, anyone can put forward a
suggestion that costs way over 200k GBP.

Back on topic though, IE is no where near Firefox for security, however,
does Firefox come with a roll out method? Does it work for our critical
apps? Can the Firefox settings be controlled centrally? I'm sure I could
spend weeks figuring out methods to get Firefox to do these things, maybe
by that time MS will have patched IE (im not holding my breath).  The MS
guy that said the origonal comment should have known when he said it he was
dropping a clanger.

Cheers,

Colin.

             "Michael
             Evanchik"
             <mevanchik@...ati                                          To
             onship1.com>              <Colin.Scott@...lc.com>,
             Sent by:                  <full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com>
             full-disclosure-a                                          cc
             dmin@...ts.netsys
             .com                                                  Subject
                                       RE: [Full-Disclosure] IE is just as
                                       safe as FireFox
             12/11/2004 16:15

I disagree Colin,

A good administrator knows there is more then one way to skin a cat.
Rafel,
I belive was just briefly stating some solutions to the problem.  I can
tell
you windows protection can be defeated with a few registry changes.
Combine
that with an active directory login script and I believe that is one way to
solve the issue.  It is wrong to complain and give up if you administrator.
Talk to you developer, im sure he will have a solution  =)

Mike

www.michaelevanchik.com