From: mvp at joeware.net (joe)
Subject: IE is just as safe as FireFox

I 100% agree with you. I never said MS was the best or even that they should
always be used. In fact in many occasions I have pushed for alternative
answers for companies who were customers.

Being the best or even better doesn't mean you will become the most popular
either. Look at Apple. Look at BetaMax. Look at lots of things.

To fully be honest though, MS isn't McDonalds. MS in the food world would be
McDonald's, Burger King, Wendies, Hardees, Taco Bell, Red Robin, Olive
Garden, Dominoes, Pizza Hut, Little Caesers, Jack in the Box, and every
other food chain you know of and also every major diner and eatery you know
of. The things that weren't Microsoft would be the little corner deli's,
placed that are called names like Michael's kitchen or Mohsin's Falafel
stand. It is a simple fact of life that MS has enough overall market share
to make the penetration of all other OS'es look like rounding errors. MS
appeals to the masses, the others appeal to niche areas. Look at the
numbers. This means that we have to do serious work at getting the stuff
corrected. Whining and complaining that they aren't the best or that they
suck or that billg is hellspawn does nothing to help anyone.

Basically, just because MS is on top, doesn't mean we shouldn't work to push
them to get better or give up and say, OS * does it much better, forget
them. But at the same time, we have to be realistic about the goals and what
needs to be done. Someone saying that they won't use IE and any web site
that requires it is stupid because they aren't following web standards is
rather shortsighted and having troubles grasping reality. Someone saying
that MS needs to rip all of that out immediately is also having reality
issues. I do think it is right and feasible for MS to give people a choice
as to whether they want IE bits on a machine or not at all (this includes
all of the bits). If I run an MS box and html content doesn't work in my MS
mail reader, I am not going to be overly upset. If I was, then say I install
that component. The realistic gripe is that we don't have the option to not
load IE at the moment. Trying to change that is a realistic goal, definitely
on servers for instance, users aren't visiting web sites from servers or at
least probably shouldn't be.

Microsoft can become secure and they are working towards it. It is just
going to take a good amount of work to do so. :o)

   joe

--
Pro-Choice
Let me choose if I even want a browser loaded thanks!