From: vordhosbn at gmail.com (vord)
Subject: Why is IRC still around?

bart

the point was obviously wasted on you. firstly, "that it would be
appropriate to consider doing away with all of them [forms of
communication] .." is by no means a logical conclusion to draw from my
premise[s], nor did i ever express or imply such nonsense. however, i
did state rather explicitly that it is NECESSARY to demand their
continued evolution and potential [perhaps eventual] demise as they
become obsolete.

second, each and every form of communication has dispensable flaws in
addition to its inherent and perhaps indispensable ones. where IRC is
concerned, some flaws of the former variety are undeniably major
contributing factors to the rampant malware plague and therefore
worthy of some [more] attention, and [please note] not impossible to
eliminate ... if only people were concerned.

third, personal responsibility is precisely the issue here. placing
all the blame on people who use guns to kill will never solve the
problem of gun-related crime -- the same is true of placing all the
blame for the existence of malware on malware creators, especially
considering how long it has been allowed to flourish -- it is
concordantly irresponsible behavior to continue to do so [fool me
once, twice, three times]. naivety and idealism might make you happy
inside, bart, but they NEVER solve anything.

in conclusion, we should be trying to solve the problem from more than
one angle. trying to convince people not to write worms, waiting until
worms are released and issuing patches/inoculations, and all attempts
at early detection/prevention are certainly noble endeavours. but
history proves that they are not enough. a new angle of attack is
necessary: the potential avenues for abuse should not ONLY be
considered during development, but more importantly after deployment
-- the internet itself [and most technology, i should say] has more or
less been fire and forget [until its abused] ... and this is primarily
why the computer security industry exists [lack of foresight].

i have nothing more to say on the subject, all replies should be
directed off list if you insist upon making one.

btw, the infrastructure simply doesn't exist to move all business off
the internet ... the net is now built-in to the world economy, and has
been for some time; don't be confused about this.

deaf ears, no doubt.

--vord
#hackphreak/undernet
sucka