From: venom at venom600.org (Ben Nelson)
Subject: Network Sniffing

Take a look at:
http://www.insecure.org/tools.html

I've used almost all of the tools on that list at one time or another.
A list of my favorites (sniffer-type tools) would include:

ntop -- great at getting a good overall picture (top-talkers, etc)
ethereal -- good protocol analysis, reads pcap (tcpdump) output natively
snort -- for all your IDS needs
dsniff -- for monitoring traffic and capturing passwords when necessary
tcpdump -- I use this most often.  Great for quick, down-n-dirty sniffs.

--Ben