From: thefinn at tpg.com.au (thefinn)
Subject: Is www.sco.com hacked Ethical?

I guess it depends what you mean by the term "ethical".

There are plenty of people around I notice who talking about "ethical" hacking
but when you get right down to it - are against hacking into systems
altogether.

Perhaps this would be a correct and "ethical" perspective given that at one
time the internet was awash with dialouts, guest accounts and free shells.
But is it really reasonable and realistic?

SCO got what they deserve for being lax in their security. To not have hacked
it in this day and age may have been JUST as unethical to those same people
who are now feeling the pinch.

Look at it this way. They had a prank played on them now rather than seeing a
few million or half a billion dollars stolen from one of their customers
tomorrow. Or worse...

It's no different than throwing a pie in Bill Gates' face.

This is the epitome of ethical hacking.

> Oh well the fun continues in the absurd world of data security or
> insecurity. And how did they hack it did someone just leave the permissions
> on the files open or some other mischief.  Anyone have a clue on this? Or
> was a DNS redirection?

Indeed. Sigh.

TheFinn

--