From: security at brvenik.com (Jason)
Subject: I'm calling for LycosEU heads and team to resign
 or be sacked

IANAL

>>The screensaver can't be allowed to be a socially acceptable way to
>>solve any internet based problem.
>

> Social acceptability is, by definition, unique to each society: what's
> acceptable here may not be across the street||river||pond||ocean, etc.
> That does not mean that it would not be efficacious ;-)

Not only is it socially acceptable it could be legal in the US and
potentially considered a constitutional issue. There are also these laws
that have something to do with nuisance which might also provide a
vehicle for it.

This is not a DDoS like what would be launched through an automated bot
network controlled by nefarious entities which neither asked for
permission or provide for removal. This is an opt-[in|out] system and I
find it to be as socially acceptable as fax bombing or mail ( as in
snail ) bombing to get your point across.

It is more like peaceful protest on the internet than it is DDoS. This
is identical to people preventing access to the building spam is sent
from by clogging the roadways with slow moving cars all day. Some will
say that clogging the roadways does not cost innocent people $$$$ but it
well could if they worked in an unrelated part of that building...

It is an effective method to make your voice heard using a different
form and it is not only acceptable it is a form of peaceful protest IMHO.