From: Shadow333 at gmx.at (even multiplexed)
Subject: Re: Linux kernel scm_send local DoS

Paul Starzetz wrote:

>Synopsis:  Linux kernel scm_send local DoS
>Product:   Linux kernel
>Version:   2.4 up to and including 2.4.28, 2.6 up to and including 2.6.9
>Vendor:    http://www.kernel.org/
>Author:    Paul Starzetz <ihaquer@...c.pl>
>Date:      Dec 14, 2004
>

>Issue:
>======
>
>A  locally  exploitable  flaw  has been found in the Linux socket layer,
>that allows a local user to hang a vulnerable machine.
>

>Details:
>========
>
>The Linux kernel provides a powerful socket API  to  user  applications.
>Among other functions sockets provide an universal way for IPC and user-
>kernel communication. The socket layer uses several  logical  sublayers.
>One  of  the  layers,  so called auxiliary message layer (or scm layer),
>augments the socket API by  an  universal  user-kernel  message  passing
>capability (see recvfrom(2) for more details on auxiliary messages).
>
>One  of  the  scm  message  parsing  functions  invoked  from the kernel
>sendmsg() code is __scm_send() and suffers from a deadlock condition  if
>carefully  prepared  auxiliary  message(s)  is  sent  to  a socket by an
>unprivileged application.
>
>We believe that the 2.4 kernel branch is not  further  exploitable.  The
>2.6  branch  has not been extensively checked, however it may be locally
>exploitable to gain elevated privileges due to its increased complexity.

>=============
>
>See attached code.
>

>Impact:
>=======
>
>Unprivileged local users may hang a vulnerable Linux machine.
>

>Credits:
>========
>
>Paul  Starzetz  <ihaquer@...c.pl>  has  identified the vulnerability and
>performed further research. COPYING, DISTRIBUTION, AND  MODIFICATION  OF
>INFORMATION  PRESENTED  HERE  IS ALLOWED ONLY WITH EXPRESS PERMISSION OF
>ONE OF THE AUTHORS.
>

>Disclaimer:
>===========
>
>This document and all the information it contains are provided "as  is",
>for  educational  purposes  only,  without warranty of any kind, whether
>express or implied.
>
>The authors reserve the right not to be responsible for the  topicality,
>correctness,  completeness  or  quality  of the information  provided in
>this document. Liability claims regarding damage caused by  the  use  of
>any  information  provided,  including  any kind of information which is
>incomplete or incorrect, will therefore be rejected.
>

>Appendix:
>=========
>
>/*
> *	Linux kernel 2.4 & 2.6 __scm_send DoS
> *	Warning! this code will hang your machine
> *
> *      gcc -O2 scmbang.c -o scmbang
> *
> [...]
Dear Ladies and Gentleman

First of all thanks to mir Starzetz for bringing this bug to our
attention.i just wanted to ask if anyone has a tip for me how to
quickfix this bug, without actually rebuilding a patched version of the
kernel.
id be thankful for every tip.

i hope theres actually a way to do that, cause our customers wouldnt
like that system of ours to reboot:/

greets
Oliver Leitner