From: uberguidoz at gmail.com (GuidoZ)

[Big snip]

> > For those of you who already have a "mailing list only"
> > e-mail address and a seperate address for work
> > related/corporate/company matters, do you see a different
> > level of unsolicited spam, compared to the work address or
> > other private e-mail address for friends and family? I'm
> > thinking about setting up the same myself, just for
> > experimental reasons! I think i'll find some differences
> > between the two.
> This is true, GuidoZ could expand on this fact I know. If he is
> around..lol Then again most corporate e-mails systems (and some people
> at their house) have very in-depth spam filters and programs to weed out
> spam and junk mail. The number would look different and should be
> different.

Yeah, I'm around now and then. ;) I have a "list only" email address
(this one) that I started recently and only use for mailing lists. (It
gets around 20 of them or so. Mostly SecFocus lists, also the BTs, few
scattered support lists.) I have noticed an increase in spam - and it
can only come from one place: Spam crawlers. I haven't used this email
address to register software, I haven't given it to anyone, and I
haven't emailed anything BUT a list from it. I'm only getting about 8
spam a day so far, which isn't bad at all. Gmail is good about
catching 99% of them.

As for my other addresses, they are receiving more spam simply because
they have been around longer. However, a few addresses I've created
recently JUST for consulting (it's only on my business card, nowhere
else) hasn't received a single spam message in almost 7 months. (My
Gmail "list-only" account is about the same age.)

The email addresses I've had for a decade are receiving roughly 5,000
spam a day (yes, 5 thousand - wee!). I've given up trying to save them
and don't use them anymore, except to study spam and phishing
attempts. =) In fact, I'm current working with someone at the Georgia
Institute of Technology (gatech.edu) to analyze the different
spam/phishing tactics for better filtration and general knowledge.
Hey, for once spam was good for something...

--
Peace. ~G