From: visitbipin at yahoo.com (bipin gautam)
Subject: IE sp2 and Mozilla Firefox DoS.

--- "ALD, Aditya, Aditya Lalit Deshmukh"
<aditya.deshmukh@...ine.gateway.expertworks.net>
wrote:

> >Both Firefox & IE supports decompression method
> 'gzip'
> >ie. an extended request header named
> >HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING like
> >HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING=gzip,deflate
>

> >By this way, the file can be kept around few
> kilobytes
> >in the server and delivered easily. I wonder, why
> >such... simple issue went un-noticed to everyone
> for
> >years...
>

> Dear bipin,
>
> Good observation ! Works for me on mozilla 1.7.5
> also on win2k sp4 and all
> other patches
>
> But Is this not a small issue that can happen to
> kind of data? .... 3.5 mb
> of data as a pic image or a pic with very high width
> will also do the same
> and there will certainly be more of such doss`
that was one of an old advisory! but, i think this
issue has been fixed.
http://www.geocities.com/visitbipin/crazy0.html
http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/10913

yap, that's why I specifically mentioned the...
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING=gzip,deflate  (O;
Moreover, when the file is being download from a
remote server and being loded, the DoS has already
been triggered! I'd only tested it on Mozilla
Browser(Linux) and falsely concluded Mozilla isn't
pron to this bug!

Can anyone test it for OPERA as well?
regard,
bipin