From: mlande at bellsouth.net (Mary Landesman)
Subject: FW: MS Antispyware makes deal to
	leaveWeatherbugalone

This began with Aluria (makes of Spyware Eliminator). They (Aluria) began a
'spyware safe' certification program. Some they've granted the use of the
logo include WeatherBug and WhenU. In the case of WhenU (and perhaps
others), Aluria has also created 'UControl' - a 'free' 'spyware' scanner
(costs for removal, may be ignoring 'partners' in their logo/distribution
program, etc.) that seems to get downloaded and installed with
adware/spyware apps.

While I don't agree with these actions on either of their parts, I do have
to say that the situation remains very complicated. For example, if
WhenUSearch and WeatherBug are candidates for inclusion (and I do believe
they are), then so is AIM (which uses Viewpoint Media Player to dish ads),
and Google toolbar (which tracks URLs visited unless you disable several
features of their toolbar).

CounterSpy (which uses MS-Giant technology) describes WeatherBug here:
http://research.sunbelt-software.com/threat_display.cfm?name=MiniBug

I think this language is fair and accurate. Assuming Microsoft AntiSpyware
provided the same description when it detected WeatherBug, I'm surprised
Microsoft so easily backed down. There is definitely a happy balance between
letting a user know adware is installed on their computer and calling it a
bad app. It would be great if more companies would focus on how this might
be done, instead of excluding detection arbitrarily - or calling rather
benign adware a high risk menace.

-- Mary