From: hades at psilanthropy.org (Anders Langworthy)
Subject: 2 vulnerabilities combine to auto
	execute	received files in Nokia series 60 OS

Paul Kurczaba wrote:
> Wouldn't the phone try to open the jpg file as a picture, and not execute
> it. Just like on desktop PCs: if you rename a .exe (application/program) to
> a jpg (picture file), and try to open the file, your image program will open
> the file, thinking it is a image file. The application code will not be
> executed.

Ideally, yes.  But as demonstrated by the Microsoft GDI exploit, just
because a file is not executed proper doesn't necessarily mean it's safe
from problems in the underlying application.

I'd still say that this isn't really a problem directly (after all, it's
considered "safe" to view a webpage with images that are loaded without
prompting), but the fact that attachments are automagically loaded does
provide a spectacular way to automatically infect a large amount of
phones if somebody were to come up with a way to payload an attachment.