From: byte.busters at gmail.com (byte busters)
Subject: Fwd: FW: MS Antispyware makes deal to leave
	Weatherbug alone

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:16:33 -0600, Todd Towles
<toddtowles@...okshires.com> wrote:
>  And the money payoff begins..

Funny how MS/Giant are with a competing product
Let's see what they say about Spybot Search & Destroy 1.3 ?
I think it has been available for a while.
I think a lot of admins have analysed it's effects as well ;-)

<QUOTE>
An Unknown BrowserHelper Objet (BHO) Requires Approval   [in BOLD]

Microsoft AntiSpyware has detected a Browser Helper Object trying to
be added. A BHO is an application that extends Internet Explorer and
acts as a plug-in allowing the BHO full control of Internet Explorer.

Name: Spybot - Search & Destroy
Publisher: Safer Networking Limited

Advise: While this is not a known spyware threat, you might want to
analyze this program
</QUOTE>
followed by a Click here for more information about this alert
<QUOTE>
What does this Application Agent do?

The Browser Helper Object (BHO) Agent monitors additions to your
Internet Explorer BHOs. If the BHO being installed is known to be
safe, the agent allows it. If it is known to be spyware, the agent
blocks it and notifies you.

What is a browser helper object?

A browser helper object (BHO) is an application that extends Internet
Explorer and acts as a plug-in. Spyware and browser redirectors often
use BHOs to display advertisements or monitor your activities across
the Internet. BHOs are also used by a number of legitimate
applications such as the toolbars offered by some common search sites.

Applications that install BHOs are becoming more popular because they
enable developers to control Internet Explorer through its native
object model and provide useful functionality. For example, some
legitimate applications use BHOs to monitor page navigation and show
related page links. Others use them to monitor and control file
downloading.

It is very likely that you have BHOs installed on your computer that
you don't know about. While there are good uses for BHOs, in some
cases, you might not know that they are installed and they can be used
for purposes like gathering information on your browsing habits.

Spyware and BHOs can unintentionally cause problems ranging from
incompatibility issues to corrupting important system functions.
</QUOTE>

--
Thanks for using ByteBusters . Please email steve@...ebusters.com
or call (506) 657-BYTE  for further  assistance.