From: requiem at praetor.org (Jeremy Bishop)
Subject: some interresting project i just stumbled
	across...

On Friday 04 February 2005 07:14, Oliver Leitner wrote:
> I dunno whats this all of a sudden, but.
>
> 1. dunno what you have against my signature, btw, if you got a better
> idea or a better formulation for it, im open for it.

In general, confidentiality is only expected if you already have an
agreement or working relationship where that is expected or agreed to.
A message to a mailing list, as others have said, looks silly.  The
notice does not have force just by being attached to an email; any
force it does have derives from invoking such an existing climate of
confidentiality.

If every message you send has such a notice attached, the recipient has
no means of judging which messages should be considered confidential.
Having the notice at the end of the email doesn't help either.

My suggestions:  if (and only if) a message would have an expectation of
confidentiality it should be marked as such in the first line.  (I
imagine you've seen a few spy movies; remember the documents with
"Confidential: Eyes Only" notices at the top? Same concept.  You may
find it appropriate to replace the "Eyes Only" part with "Do Not
Forward Outside the Company" or "For Internal or Partner Use Only".)

(The above statements may be more or less true depending on the legal
environment in your country of residence.  If you know of legislation
or case law which significantly contradicts them, please post a
reference. IANAL, etc.)

> after all im not the only one with such a signature here or on any
> other mailinglist, so why this all of a sudden reaction on it? arent
> you guys a bit late with that?

Yours included the "by reading this mail you agree" phrasing.  Also, we
need to start somewhere, why not with yours?

--
The mome rath isn't born that could outgrabe me.
                        -- Nicol Williamson