From: lionel.ferette at belnet.be (Lionel Ferette)
Subject: In case y'all didn't catch it yet...

Hello Valdis,

On Wednesday 16 February 2005 19:08, you produced the following piece of
wisdom:
[SNIP]
> And if it's a crew with a 400K machine zombie net, 3 days.  Maybe a week
> given that most of the boxes are consumer-grade machines.
>
> Consider it a "given" that there's at least one "somebody" *already*
> situated in that target space...
Granted. But what would those "somebody" find? Maybe it is possible to forge a
message that would have the same hash as another, given, message. What is the
probability of such a forged message to make any sense? More, to make any
sense in an "interesting" way for those "somebody"?

I fully agree that the basis for non-repudiation has been shaken: someone may
claim that (s)he did not sign a message, since it may be possible to forge.
But I won't lose sleep because of that.

Time to apply for those crypto research funds, though ;-)

Cheers,

Lionel

--
"To understand how progress failed to make our lives easier,
please press 3"

Lionel Ferette
BELNET CERT Coordinator

Tel: +32 2 7903385                  http://cert.belnet.be/
Fax: +33 2 7903375                  PGP Key Id: 0x5662FD4B