From: lise_moorveld at hotmail.com (Lise Moorveld)
Subject: Sandblad's IE vulnerabilities

Hi there,

Did you guys spot this? Three vulnerabilities in IE that lead to remote code
execution when combined. Discovered by Andreas Sandblad, apparently fixed by
the latest cumulative IE patch (MS05-014), but not confirmed by MS.

http://secunia.com/secunia_research/2004-8/advisory/

I do miss his personal advisories, with the cute ascii-figure in his .sig:
      _     _
    o' \,=./ `o
       (o o)
---ooO--(_)--Ooo---   (c) Sandblad

But above all, I miss the detailed description... the patches are out, I
should hope everybody installed them by now, so where is the meat?

What do you guys make from it?

For example:
"A parsing error in the "codebase" attribut of the "object" tag.
This can be exploited to execute local files with any file extension
from the "Local Computer Zone" by appending "?.exe"."

Would this be limited to binary files, or would one be able to parse an HTML
file containing some malicious javascript with this vulnerability? Perhaps
its related to the codebase vulnerabilities reported some time ago...

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2003-05/0059.html

Bye,

Lise