From: dk at pwarchitects.com (dk)
Subject: Bios programming...

Randall Perry wrote:
> The program in question is quite legitimate in nature and already
> exists in several forms.

So does porn. Infarct one can replace `program' with `porn' above and
make the same kind of hollow point.
Mere existence and availability doesn't make it right, even if you make
the personal choice to do so.

> In some instances, it sends the data to 'accountability partners'
> who are your chosen peers that monitor your activity.

Sounds benign enough at first glance, and I like the group portion. But
do you have a study that backs up this method as mentally or emotionally
sound? Or is this just geeks making up pseudo-science to peddle their code?

> Think of it as AA for online porn.  Online porn has become a
> real problem for males age 12 to early 40's.

Porn is a human problem mainly due to society's variety in accepting
and/or suppressing sexual matters in daily life. Religion has done as
much harm in this area as it has done good. Re-modeling that system of
"eye-in-the-sky" accountability and personal emotional suppression makes
me feel we've learned little these past N-thousand years.

And no, this program (alone) is not like AA or NA. I am familiar with
their methods and it places more open responsibility on the individual
to learn to control themselves and respond face to face with a group.
This is having someone remotely MONITOR your activity and aggregate it
however they choose. The direct human contact factor is out of the
equation, which probably part of the clients original problem to begin with!
To accept that as long-term positive treatment of a condition should be
appalling to a discriminating scientific mind.
Combine this with planned therapy by a professional (not just some
divinity grad) and you /may/ make a better case to those of us who disagree.

> Properly implemented, solutions to combat porn are good business.

That statement alone is enough to make me pause about your good
intentions. How is it exactly that you intend to separate this type of
exploitation of the individual from the exploitation they are trying to
be rid of? You & the Porn supplier are both doing it for a profit. Since
the client says they want it it's ok then? That's what got them into
their mess isn't it?

> (mind you, this is not 'spyware' for parents.  this is targeted at
> adults who are trying to curb their own behavior).

True. But I would *NEVER* trust a programmer to address a (possible)
psychological/behavioral problem, that's just silly. A xx$ program to
"monitor" them is no replacement for Professional Psychotherapy, period.

> Those who are not aware of that epidemic should sit quietly and
> not scoff at the efforts of others.

<rant>
(I was going to bite my lip until you said that.)

No, one should not just be quiet Randy; _especially_ because I disagree
that what you are doing is good for the individual or the society that
they live within. Though I like how you softly framed the statement to
reinforce that speaking implied ignorance. I'm rather surprised you've
the gall to actually type this on a Full-Disclosure list.

Whether this is an "epidemic" as you call it, is debatable as well. This
just smells like more pious, pseudo-religious proselytizing & labeling
that I've had to endure in America all my life. Must it infect 'net too?
  Silly question, I know.

That the Internet (post '95) has cast a wide net to surprise the
unprepared with pornography is true enough. But that's a problem of how
each society teaches it's members. Calling it an epidemic just
sensationalizes it and makes it good for marketing and evangelizing.

I've a feeling social piety and taboo play a large role in the
individuals dysfunction and attraction to porn. So social treatment and
education is a better path than hacking up some code over night to make
a buck. That just stinks Randy.

</rant>

> Good luck with the project,
> it sounds noble at root.

The root of many human endeavors seem noble. Yet the unforeseen
consequences keep bubbling up through history, no?

--
dk