From: davefd at davewking.com (Dave King)
Subject: Microsoft GhostBuster Opinions

Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:28:55 MST, Dave King said:
>

>>    Also, this is not just like tripwire.  If the kernel is compromised
>>and reporting false data to tripwire then tripwire can run along merrily
>>thinking every thing's great.  This is why booting to a trusted kernel
>>is important for the process.  Exploiting Software by Hoglund and McGraw
>>has a discussion on these types of rootkits.  Tripwire, however does
>>great at detecting other sorts of intrusions.
>>

>Actually, the "prior art" *is* tripwire.  If you run tripwire on the live
>system, then run it while booted from a CD, and they produce different
>results, you have a problem.
>
>And that's what they're doing by doing a 'dir /a /s' on the live system,
>then booting the Windows PE CD, and looking for differences....

Ok, this is true.  I guess what I meant by what I said was running
tripwire as a cron job daily or whatever on a system without booting  to
a known good kernel could yeild incorrect results if the kernel has been
compromised.  A similar result can be had using tripwire on the system
then booting to a known good kernel and running it again.

Laters,
Dave King CISSP