From: exibar at thelair.com (Exibar)
Subject: CISSP Test

The CISSP cert is a great cert to have if you want to get your foot in the
door.  Some places require you to have the cert as well.  It gives the
assurance that the holder of the cert is a fairly well rounded security
person that understands the concepts, but not neccessarily the finer details
of implimentation.  CISSP is basically a 50,000 foot view of IT security as
a whole.

  The SANS / GIAC exams are better IMHO.  Simply due to the fact that they
mostly specialize in one field, and require you to complete a practical
assignment that enforces the fact that you really know how to make use of
the material in a real world situation.

 BUT, SANS / GIAC has done away with the practical written paper part of the
exam as recent as last week.  This severely devalues the GIAC certs IMHO.
Now any Joe Shmoe that can read a book and memorize said book, will be able
to get certified.  The practical exam weeded out the "exam-cram" crowd.  I
understand that some people just couldn't find the time, you have 5 months
to write the practicle.... if you really want the cert you'll find the time.

<up on soapbox, stop reading now if you don't want to read a rant>

   My only gripe about CISSP is with ISC2, MOST of my spam comes from ISC2.
Ok, perhaps not most of it, but a bunch of it.....   They constantly send
crap to me, elections for board of directors (who cares?), this class is
coming up (I'm already CISSP, why take another class?), that class is coming
up, this thing is happening, that thing is happening....  Really who cares?
I could care less who the "president" is of ISC2, place Barbie in charge for
all I care, I could care less if they have yet another class coming up in my
area, I'm already certified, why in the world would I want to take a class
to becoem CISSP????)....  ISC2 says they are non-profit, great, fine, yippe,
but what do I get for my $85 per year?  I have the cert, that's all I
needed, I paid $450 for the priviledge to take the exam.  Please don't tell
me it costs $85 per year to keep track of my CPE's....  If it does I'll keep
track of them myself on a piece of 3 cent paper thank you very much.....
  SANS doesn't charge me a yearly fee for my GCIH, but I do have to be
re-tested every 2 years at a cost of $120... not unreasonable if you ask
me....

<off soapbox>

Exibar