From: rudrak at gmail.com (Rudra Kamal Sinha Roy)
Subject: Help with Firewalk

Dear anamika,
Firstly firewalk  attempts to determine what transport protocols a
given gateway will let through. The firewalk scan works by sending out
TCP or UDP packets with an IP TTL one greater then the targeted
gateway. If the gateway allows the traffic, it will forward the
packets to the next hop where they will expire and elicit a TTL
exceeded in transit message. If the gateway host does not allow the
traffic, it will likely drop the packets on the floor and we will see
no response. So mightbe your gateway needs some
configuration(depending on the architecture) you are having before you
go get blowing with your firewalk :)

Secondly to work its magic, firewalk has two phases, a network
discovery phase, and a scanning phase. Initially, to get the correct
IP TTL (that will result in expired packets one beyond the gateway) we
need to 'ramp up' hop counts. We do TTL ramping in the same manner
that traceroute works, sending packets out with successively
incremented IP TTLs, towards the destination host. Once we know the
gateway hopcount (at that point the scan is 'bound') we can move onto
the next phase, the actual scan which is actually very simple.

Hope this will benefit you.

Rudra
--
Rudra kamal Sinha Roy