Date: Sat Apr  9 06:12:29 2005
From: zx at castlecops.com (Paul Laudanski)
Subject: Re: [SECURITYREASON.COM] PhpNuke 7.6=>x Multiple
 vulnerabilities cXIb8O3.12

A cursory web search revealed...

On 4 Apr 2005, Maksymilian Arciemowicz wrote:

> - --- 1.Description --- PHP-Nuke is a Web Portal System, storytelling
[SNIP]

> - --- 2. XSS ---
> 2.0
> http://[HOST]/[DIR]/banners.php?op=EmailStats&name=sex&bid=[XSS]
>
> 2.1
> http://[HOST]/[DIR]/modules.php?name=Web_Links&l_op=TopRated&ratenum=[XSS]&ratetype=num

This has been a bug for over a year now:

http://www.waraxe.us/content-5.html

> 2.2
> http://[HOST]/[DIR]/modules.php?name=Web_Links&l_op=MostPopular&ratenum=%3Ch1%3E50&ratetype=num

This too was pointed out nearly two years ago:

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/fulldisclosure/2003-q2/1213.html

> 2.3
> http://[HOST]/[DIR]/modules.php?name=Web_Links&l_op=viewlinkdetails&ttitle=[XSS]
>
> 2.4
> http://[HOST]/[DIR]/modules.php?name=Web_Links&l_op=viewlinkeditorial&ttitle=[XSS]
>
> 2.5
> http://[HOST]/[DIR]/modules.php?name=Web_Links&l_op=viewlinkcomments&ttitle=[XSS]
>
> 2.6
> http://[HOST]/[DIR]/modules.php?name=Web_Links&l_op=ratelink&ttitle=[XSS]
>
> 2.7
> http://[HOST]/[DIR]/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=userinfo&bypass=1&username=[XSS]

In general a multi-layered defense system is a good idea.  mod_security is
a great tool for Apache which can be installed to catch certain kinds of
GET injections.  Certainly not fool proof as the codebase should filter
inputs.

> - --- 3. Path Disclousure ---

On the topic of programming it is good practice to validate input,
however, for path disclosure, it is an even better plan to disable
displaying errors on a production website.

> - --- 4. How to fix ---
> Because phpnuke don't have security contact, you can download my patch from securityreason.com
> http://securityreason.com/patch/PhpNuke-7.6-adv.by.cXIb8O3.12-patch.tar.gz

Actually I know of a couple sites that work effortlessly to promote
security in php-nuke.  These days chatserv works on writing and collecting
patches into a bundle for download:

nukecops.com
nukeresources.com
ravenphpscripts.com

I'd suggest posting your finds as news submissions to these sites, with
always a followup to phpnuke.org's Francisco (AKA nukelite).

--
Sincerely,

Paul Laudanski .. Computer Cops, LLC.
Microsoft MVP Windows-Security 2005