Date: Mon Apr 25 14:16:37 2005
From: Glenn.Everhart at chase.com (Glenn.Everhart@...se.com)
Subject: FW: Introducing a new generic approach
	todetecting SQL injection

While the example would pass the proposed test evaluation in the sense it
would still give an invalid statement, there may be some related type
tests that check things like the count of results from an inserted
result which would reveal some of those attacks.

The scheme I proposed was not guaranteed to cover all attacks, just some
classes of them; I'd be amazed if there weren't a number more classes that
don't work, but again perhaps there are other related defensive techniques.
They don't replace everything else that is known, are just another set
of tests that can be used.

I could wish for extensions to the SQL parser (controlled out of band since
Paul pointed out that in band controls would be trivial to bypass...doh) that
would allow a caller to get information generally about the results that
would be obtained or about parsing features used. Such things might be a whole
lot easier to gather and use, and more precise than shoving entire statements at
the parser and watching for errors. This is one of those cases where we only
have a hammer and maybe a couple other tools, so have to do some creative abuse
of the materials to get what we want. Doesn't mean we can't also shop for a
fuller toolbox. (In my old spreadsheet AnalyRim, I found that it was often handy
to return extra information from functions, and used a bunch of global accumulators
to do so. The functions I did this in grew hardly at all, since only a few instructions
were added to save internal results that were already being generated, but I was enabled
to write some applications in far less code. The info needed is likely already generated
inside the DBMS and might be returnable in some similarly cheap way if authors
of the DBMS code feel like doing it.

Glenn Everhart