Date: Tue Apr 26 22:28:10 2005
From: khermansen at ht-technology.com (Kristian Hermansen)
Subject: Counter-Strike bug in name command?

I ran into a problem yesterday and now request the assistance of others
to verify or test for the bug, in case it affects more than my setup.  I
am running the latest Counter-Strike through Steam under Linux by using
Cedega 4.3-1.  I am hoping that someone one Windows or Linux can verify
or shoot down this bug.

So basically, if I try to rename myself within the console using the
following string (without quotes) -- the client process will hang
"name .                                                                ."

This is not much of a security vulnerability for server admins in
general, but could be used by malicious admins to lock up the processes
of connecting gamers.  Just try making your name a "." followed by many
consecutive spaces, and then end it with another "."  I can't tell if
this is a problem in the way that CS now tries to eliminate whitespace
in player names, but it does crash my client.  Any feedback would be
appreciated if this command crashes your client...
--
Kristian Hermansen <khermansen@...technology.com>