Date: Sat Apr 30 21:57:17 2005
From: ctf at kenshoto.com (Kenshoto)
Subject: Defcon Capture the Flag registration is open

Word is in from up on high, kenshoto will be running the Defcon
Capture the Flag contest in 2005.  This year's CtF will be a
knock-down-drag-out-cyberninja war, the likes of which the world has
never seen.

The core skill for this contest will be finding vulnerabilities in
software.  Those of you who have avoided playing in CtF because you
think it is for lamers, we bet you can't find all our vulnerabilities.

Teams will still need to defend a server, and will need to be able to
exploit the vulnerabilities they find.  The vulnerabilities are going
to be custom-written, so packetstorm archives and nmap aren't going to
help you win.

There will be a qualifying round, which will start on Friday, June 3rd
at 10:00 PM EDT.  Only 7 teams and 12 individuals will qualify.  Last
year's winners, Sk3wl0fR00t, are automatically qualified (leaving 6
team slots), unless they too decide to play in the qualifying round,
in which case they've still got to place in the top 8.

Registration is currently open at http://kenshoto.com/teamsubmit/ This
year, we're not only going to accept teams, we'll also accept lone
warriors.  Such ronin won't have to defend anything, but will
otherwise be playing the same game.

We encourage anyone to attempt to qualify, even if as a learning
experience.

Good luck... you're going to need it.

-kenshoto