Date: Tue May  3 11:29:22 2005
From: jan.meijer at surfnet.nl (Jan Meijer)
Subject: Blair is more important than network security?

On Tue, 3 May 2005, n3td3v wrote:

> This is a good thread. On the ITSafe website (a new security advisory
> site setup by uk.gov) it says the following...
>

> "
> ITsafe News Issue 2005/02
>
> The normal plan is for ITsafe News to be published on a monthly basis.
>
> The April 2005 Issue has been withheld due to restrictions on
> publication of new material by Government Departments during the
> General Election, as detailed in the Cabinet Office guidance document.
>
> "
>

> Great stuff isn't it? This kinda goes to show UK gov is setup wrong
> with regards to internet security...
> Another reason *not* to vote for Blair?

Elections are a sensitive period in a democracy.  If you want to know what
can happen if that period is not treated as such, have a look at what
happens in lots of African countries.  And mind you, elections that go
wrong can result in bodyparts flying around after which the state of the
Internet rapidly becomes less important.

It would seem like someone has decided that the balance between the
benefit the ITSafe publication and the possibly disturbing efect it might
have on the election (might have something to do with the thing going live
in Feb 2005?  Maybe it is therefor classified as 'new program'?) weight
heavier towards the election process.

Then again, it might be part of an overall plot by Mr. Blair's
spindoctors to curtail publications as much as possible.

One never knows.  Glad I don't have to vote in .uk.

Jan