Date: Fri May  6 18:12:19 2005
From: michael.holstein at csuohio.edu (Michael Holstein)
Subject: wintcpmod.exe Hear of it?

Probably a <flavor_of_the_month>bot variant. Run it by Norman's sandbox
and see what shakes out.

http://sandbox.norman.no/live_4.html

Try to Un-[upx|rar|zip] it first .. Norman's website dosen't handle
programs that are compressed multiple times so well (and bot-kiddies
like to do just that to hide them/frustrate us).

Also .. check standard spots in the registry to see if it's set to run
on startup (HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run and
RunServices).

As mentioned in another post, http://www.virustotal.com is another good
spot to run it through.

Seeing the same file in those two places is fairly common bot behavior
.. they want to ensure they get it at least one place that's in the $PATH.

If all else fails, a VMware guest (with Ethereal on the host O/S) is
your friend.

Cheers,

Michael Holstein CISSP GCIA
Cleveland State Univeristy