Date: Fri Jun 10 11:12:24 2005
From: cmacfarlane at Drummond-Miller.co.uk (Cassidy Macfarlane)
Subject: Off topic rant to my friends

Agreed.

In ICT/Security, I commonly encounter an attitude of 'technocracy' - in
that skilled professionals look down upon and patronise the plain
(relatively unskilled) user.

In business, this attitude is immensely counter-productive, as unless
ICT/Security staff are approachable, they are not going to learn of
day-to-day issues encountered by 'their' users.

I am a strong believer in the 'support through training' ideal, as the
users have to learn what it is they are either doing wrong, or just not
in the 'right way' (such as checking a suspect mail from phishing
attributes: incorrect URLS/suspect text, etc).  These users cannot be
expected to see through all the varied and nefarious ways malware can be
presented, unless they are shown/trained how to do so.

Not OT at all, imho.