Date: Thu Jun 30 21:14:51 2005
From: menscher at uiuc.edu (Damian Menscher)
Subject: Re: Publishing exploit code - what is it good for

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, Aviram Jenik wrote:

> What I need is a security administrator, CSO, IT manager or sys admin that can
> explain why they find public exploits are good for THEIR organizations. Maybe
> we can start changing public opinion with regards to full disclosure, and
> hopefully start with this opinion leader.

I'll skip over the obvious stuff (exploits are distributed anyway,
knowing when exploits exist is helpful for prioritizing patches, etc)
and jump to your specific question: how this helps me and my
organization as end-users.

When a vendor issues an advisory, it tells us that their software should
be upgraded, and often gives mitigating factors.  But upgrading software
all the time is risky: you never know when a patch will break something.
So it's often helpful to wait a day before upgrading, if you know that
there is no known exploit.  FD lists therefore help us prioritize
updates.

Also, many times there are enough mitigating factors that it may be
difficult to determine whether (in the case of an exploit being
published before we've had a chance to patch) there was any period of
vulnerability.  For example, with stack randomization enabled, the
exploit might fail.  It would be reassuring to confirm that.

Finally, many vendors (RedHat being a notable one) backport security
patches, rather than upgrading to the latest version (which may
introduce new bugs^Wfeatures).  A side effect is that it's often
difficult to determine whether your machines are vulnerable to any given
exploit.  Yes, we could probably glean the information from changelogs
and security advisories from the vendor, but that's often a confusing
process (the inclusion of CAN/CVE numbers helps).

And, of course, if you're the security guy (I've worn this hat too), all
you can see is that they're running (for the case of OpenSSH)
OpenSSH_3.6.1p2, which might be vulnerable.  You don't know that the fix
was backported into openssh-3.6.1p2-33.30.4.  So you need to test.  In
fact, I suspect this is why your friend doesn't want the exploits to be
released.  If organizations could test their own security (which
*requires* having the exploits, as I just explained), it would cut into
his company's market-share.

Damian Menscher
--
-=#| Physics Grad Student & SysAdmin @ U Illinois Urbana-Champaign |#=-
-=#| 488 LLP, 1110 W. Green St, Urbana, IL 61801 Ofc:(217)333-0038 |#=-