Date: Fri Jul 15 14:31:55 2005
From: stevex11 at sbcglobal.net (Steve Kudlak)
Subject: thunderbird privacy...

sec-list@...og.org wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Adam Neale wrote:
>
>> My understanding is, to remove these items for good you compact the
>> folder, this is done by right clicking the folder and selecting
>> "Compact This Folder", then its gone for good.
>

> confirmed for thunderbird 1.0.2/WinXP.
>
> GTi

Right, that is what the manual said. I would say the obvious obscenity.;)
My suspicion is that so many people make "boo boos" throwing away stuff
that many things have been designed to deal with this. Fewer people get
investigated by people at the Federal Level or Very Good Private
Invesitgators or bugged by Filoratzis (people who dig goodies out of
famous persons computer files). When I did this stuff for a living, I
think out of 100 people, it was 95 who wanted things they threw away
back, and this includes people who went through a multi-step throw away
process (move to trash, empty trash)  and only 5 wanted something really
gone as "find its location on disk and write over it for sure"...Ah the
joys of physical I/O!

Have Fun,
Sends Steve