Date: Tue Aug  2 07:40:48 2005
From: ben.hawkes at paradise.net.nz (Ben Hawkes)
Subject: Undisclosed Sudo Vulnerability ?

On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 09:57:51PM -0500, Ron wrote:
> Haha nice, I was just getting ready to run it on my sacrificial VMWare
> box, but you saved me the trouble of hitting "undo" :-)
>
> Kurt Seifried wrote:
> > This is a trojan that will nuke all the files owned by the user running it.
> >
> > -Kurt
> >
> > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Esler, Joel - Contractor"
> > <joel.esler@...rt-s.army.mil>

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this as I just got back on the
list, but the technical side of this is actually pretty impressive.
Of course, the malicious shellcode is always going to give away a fake
exploit, but the way in which this specific piece of code diverts the
execution path from binary to the "shellcode" is particularly devious.

So I did a quick sweep of the code, and normally it takes about two seconds
to spot the line that diverts execution (things like function pointers
set to the "shellcode" or fairly obvious overflows). But this time I
couldn't see anything that would obviously cause the redirection, just a
few strange casts. So I fired up gdb, and was eventually led to the fact
that alloca() was treating the second #define as a byte argument.
Combined with the fact that alloca() performs 16-byte alignment, the
second of these calls was effectively equivalent to alloca(0).

Obviously this results in an overflow of the saved return address on
the stack, which results in the diversion. The other interesting thing
is that the shellcode is very purposefully appended to the .text section,
which as I see it can only be for one reason, PaX evasion.

Certainly a waste of time, but a reasonably interesting and insightful
waste of time nonetheless.

--
Ben Hawkes (fiver)
http://pie.sf.net/