Date: Sat Aug  6 07:40:58 2005
From: lyal.collins at key2it.com.au (root)
Subject: Defeating Citi-Bank Virtual Keyboard Protection

Aditya Deshmukh wrote:

>The only most secure protection is a one time password with a challenge /
>response scheme. Most of the banks in europe already do this.
>
>They give out a calculator like device to the customers and when u want to
>login you are presented with a challenge that you punch into you device
>which spits a response that you enter that into the form....
>
>Costly for the bank but very effective security for the customer and bank in
>terms of gain in security and decrease in losses due to fraud ....
>

>- Aditya

Respectfully, I disagree.
Although I never attended, this year's IT Underground conference in
poland promised a hand on session breaking OTP tokens.  As Schneier
says, OT token device merely force a tactical shift by the attacker, not
a permanent fix.
The credit card industry's 'fixes' have only been effective for weeks to
months over the past decade, so I don't consider OTPs will make much
difference relative to the cost in the mid-long term.

Lyal