Date: Wed Aug 17 11:37:05 2005
From: josh at tkos.co.il (Josh Zlatin-Amishav)
Subject: svchost.exe try to send http outside

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 howard.lee@...co.com wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I discovered that an "svchost.exe" start when the server start.
> This svchost.exe try to sync_sent to random http host when I view from
> netstat, active port, and pviewer.
>
> However, does anyone know which worms/torjon/normal process causes the
> svchost do such job?

Hi Howard,
This sounds like Hotword.b.trojan. The Hotword.b trojan is known to use
the following files:
"_svchost.exe"
"0xFFsvchost.exe" (note the 0xFF is obviosly unreadable)
"Outlook Express"

in the System32 directory.

FYI this trojan was recently used in a massive corporate spy case in Israel.

For more info See here:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.hotword.b.html
http://seclists.org/lists/fulldisclosure/2005/May/0653.html

--