Date: Wed Aug 17 19:46:51 2005
From: michealespinola at gmail.com (Micheal Espinola Jr)
Subject: It's not that simple... [Was: Re: Disney Down?]

This issue effects XP and W2K3 systems as well.  I don't see the
argument of W2K being "on the back burner" as having any relation to
this thread.

Regardless of "a LOT of Windows 2000 out there...", these companies
weren't bitten the same day the initial exploit was released.  6 days
is plenty of time to have tested compatibility and to distribute the
patch.

PnP is not a show stopper when it comes to patch compatibility testing
- especially considering the fact that the exploit allows for remote
code execution and elevation of privilege.  Perhaps certain people
need to learn or take a refresher course of what that exactly implies.

And I'd say it is just that simple when you consider the fact that San
Diego County waited to install the patch *the night after* they got
hit by the worm.  *That's* why organizations like San Diego County,
with ~12,000 Win2k hosts, were bitten so badly.

Greg Smith, the county's assessor, recorder and clerk, said "As long
as we're up (today), we'll be fine"  Greg Smith is a thinking much too
lightly of the situation.  Their systems just got hit with an exploit
that allows for remote code execution and elevation of privilege.  If
I was him, I would be very concerned about data theft, and performing
network wide audits.

"Yesterday's crash marked the third time in recent weeks that
significant computer problems have affected county government."  Well,
enough said about Greg Smith or whoever manages SDC's systems...

Lets take a look at the ISS advisory that makes a respectful analysis
of the phrase "code execution and elevation of privilege":

"Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could be leveraged to
gain complete control over target systems, and might lead to malware
installation, exposure of confidential information, or further network
compromise. Due to the widespread use of the affected operating
systems and the critical nature of component affected, it is likely
that servers and desktops used for a wide variety of purposes are
vulnerable to this issue."

The initial exploited fault aside, I see no excuse for this.

--
ME2  <http://www.santeriasys.net/>