Date: Wed Aug 24 16:47:50 2005
From: jftucker at gmail.com (James Tucker)
Subject: talk.google.com

David Maxwell wrote:

>Google supporting Jabber would be nice. However, I've been unable to add
>contacts using talk.google.com (with gmail.com addresses) via my
>standard Jabber server. They've been unable to add me too.

I have connected using a standard jabber client, however it
authenticates using the PLAIN mechanism as opposed to X-GOOGLE-TOKEN.

So far I have found no public docs on the google authentication token.
I'm not that familiar with Jabber and can't identify it by eye, although
it seems to be an all encompassing auth string.
Any cryptologists who want to have a look, I can provide auth strings +
details off-list.

>Is it possible that Google is running the only public Jabber server that
>doesn't interoperate with other Jabber servers? That sounds more like
>the 'embrace and extend' of Microsoft than the 'Don't be Evil' of
>Google...

It may well be the case. The voice extensions are also proprietary at
first glance, however again, my lack of jabber experience makes that
difficult to judge. I still need to test the cross-server functionality.

>I hope it's only for a very brief beta period if that's the case, but in
>the meantime, Google Talk is just another proprietary messaging system.

Well, roughly, all Jabber clients should be able to connect provided
they don't bomb out over the differences.