Date: Mon Sep 12 13:05:24 2005
From: brian.sims at siemens.com (Sims Brian)
Subject: Forensic help?

Ghost will not give you a forensically sound image.   Unless something
changes recently, Ghost won't image unallocated space, so you won't be able
to recover any deleted files.   I'd recommend using the Helix Live CD at
http://www.e-fense.com/helix/, which based on Knoppix, but will never
automatically mount any disks found, as Knoppix will.

It contains all the tools previously mentioned - dcfldd for imaging, which
you can pipe to netcat to create an image over the network.   The Sleuthkit
for analysis, which is basically just a front-end to other tools also
included.   However, the learning curve can bit a bit steep.