Date: Tue Sep 20 01:07:41 2005
From: jlauro at umflint.edu (Lauro, John)
Subject: OSS means slower patches

Might be, if I could believe the stats...  The problem is, that stats
are messed up.   It claims only 8 critical flaws in IE this year, and
a low average time for fixing the flaws.  That number may be correct
in terms of critical flaws, but some of the critical flaws in IE were
found last year (and only recently fixed), it's just that many flaws
are not publicly acknowledged by Microsoft until a patch is
available...  Because of the openness of OSS, it might be that the
time between wide-spread public awareness of a hole and patch
availability are larger, but that does not mean slower patches in
terms of the actual vulnerability as the data reported from IE was
clearly flawed.  Or maybe the study (to make IE look good) tossed out
vulnerabilities found last year, but only fixed this year???  To
really determine the difference, you must track back to when the
oldest version of the software that could be exploited, instead of
when it was "publicly" acknowledged...