Date: Wed Sep 21 09:53:04 2005
From: berendjanwever at gmail.com (Berend-Jan Wever)
Subject: Google Secure Access or "How to have people
	download a trojan."

This is a quite pathetic attempt to install a trojan, let me explain:
 <snippets href="http://wifi.google.com/faq.html">

   1. "Google Secure Access is a downloadable client application that
   allows users to establish a more secure WiFi connection."
   2. "...your internet traffic will be encrypted, preventing others from
   viewing the information you transmit."

</snippets>
 So, by "more secure" Google means using encryption to prevent "others" from
sniffing your packets. That's nice! What else does it do? Here's some
information from the privacy policy:

<snippets href="http://wifi.google.com/privacy-policy.html">

   1. "Google may log some information from your web page requests ..."
   2. "Google also logs a small set of non-personally identifiable
   information ..."
   3. "Google will not sell or provide personally identifiable
   information to any third parties except ..."
   4. "... we may for a limited period of time preserve additional
   internet traffic or other information."

</snippets>
 Aha! What we have here is trojan spyware! It does exactly what it is
supposed to protect you from.
 The second snippet clearly states that this concerns NON-personally
identifiable information... what about the information mentioned in the
first snippet, is that personally identifiable? I guess so; the third
snippet mentions Google selling or providing personally identifiable
information, this must have come from somewhere!
 In the third snippet, Google neglects to mention non-personally
identifiable information. What about selling that? I guess they do!
 The best thing about the whole policy is the last snippet, which undoes
_everything_ stated before it. Nice one Google!! ;)
 I suggest that Google comes clean and replaces their privacy policy with a
shorter, less confusing version:

*Here's some candy, go play!*
Btw. All your base are belong to us.

 Cheers,