Date: Tue Sep 27 16:56:38 2005
From: research at sec-consult.com (Bernhard Mueller)
Subject: CORE-Impact license bypass

Exibar wrote:
>       I didn't mean to imply that the consultants create their own exploits,
> not many I know could even begin to do that, only a couple are talented
> enough to do just that.  Even for those very few, it's just not feasable
> from a time perspective.  Much quick and cost effective to use what's out
> there.

so what use is a pentest if the consultant isn't even talented enough to
find / create exploits for unknown vulnerabilities?
any average admin can install and run an automatic security scanner.
furthermore, a common nessus report contains 99% useless garbage. and
most of the time, you can not apply generic exploits like these from
metasploit to a specific customer situation.
in my experience, nearly all sites have some serious security flaws even
if tools like nessus say the contrary. there may be self-coded
applications or software that is not widely known or tested so they're
not found in any vulnerability database. or, if that is not the case,
you may even find new flaws in well-established software.
IMHO you can not deliver a reasonable security assessment until you have
checked everything by hand.

regards,

~  DI (FH) Bernhard Mueller
~  IT Security Consultant

~  SEC-Consult Unternehmensberatung GmbH
~  www.sec-consult.com

~  A-1080 Wien  Blindengasse 3
~  Tel:   +43/676/840301718
~  Fax:   +43/(0)1/4090307-590