Date: Tue Oct  4 16:27:44 2005
From: mail at hackingspirits.com (Debasis Mohanty)
Subject: Bypassing Personal Firewall, is it that* hard?

Hey AZ,

Andrei Zlate-Podani wrote:
>> A firewall has to do with network traffic. All this talk about "bypassing
firewall x or y using this
>> trick or that one" is sheer nonsense.

I just noticed "@bitdefender.com" in your ID and I am sure you must be
knowing better than me in all aspect as far as AV / Firewall goes.
Unfortunately I have to exaplain you that ZA Pro and its siblings are much
more than normal personal fw which even includes many of those
functionalities which takes care of most of the local OS based attacks and
even much more.

>> It is not the job of a firewall to track all the relations of executables
and/or API calls in the system.

You are right as long as you are talking about old school days firewalls...
;-) I would like to suggest you give a shot to ZA Pro / Internet Security
Suit once most of your doubts about current days fw will be clear :)

>> I never heard anybody complaining that iptables allows a script execute
Conqueror to communicate with a server.

Is it ?? What a coincidence, Infact me too never heard :P

>> Use an antivirus program or an IDS for this job.

Nice suggestion !!! Which products are you going to suggest to the home pc
users and corporate end-users??

>> Andrei

Bah ... D

Aditya Deshmukh wrote:

>>say... a backdoor want to communicate to its server... It can do
>>is,.... use a trusted internal application to do the job. Suppose; it
>>creates a batch file run the batch file  (evil.bat) & executes this
>>command
>>

>this has been going on for years - there are some trojans that create
>An invisible browser window at the screen center to comm with the
>Server.
>
>This is the reason most firewalls like show you a popup saying the
>[app-name] trying to connect to [server-name] at [port-number]

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
--- Charles Darwin

For more information please visit http://www.bitdefender.com/