Date: Thu Oct  6 15:22:20 2005
From: mudge at uidzero.org (mudge)
Subject: Interesting idea for a covert channel or I just
	didn't research enough?

What you describe would be a variant of 'dead-drop' covert channels.

Other examples would be:

. The use of public message boards where one program/person initiates
a connection out to the board and posts a message with particular
words/phrases/passages and another program/person scans said message
board looking for the 'encoded' messages.

. Web servers that have readable log files where one end of the
covert channel accesses certain web pages (existent or non-existent)
in a particular order and the other end looks for this message (or
alternatively has various combinations of request parameters in the
query strings which encodes commands or messages).

. etc. etc.

This type of covert channel has long been used by various governments
and organizations (think of clandestine messages being passed to or
from agents via personal ads). So, this is not a novel idea but you
are correct, there does not exist a tremendous amount of literature
on the subject - particularly in the public infosec/comsec communities.

A large percentage of 'dead-drop' covert channels will rely on a
shared 'code-book' between both parties.

cheers,

.mudge